Friday 3 February 2012

Helljumpers: Halo Movie??




I love Halo. I love the original trilogy. I enjoyed ODST and Halo: Wars. The storyline to Reach was really good, but the gameplay and online left a lot to be desired. I have yet to play the re-issue of Halo:CE because I run by the ethos of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now I don't know about you, but after the "Landfall" series of shorts were released, I was really hyped up about the fact that there was a damn good chance of a Halo film. Peter Jackson was apparently involved, Neill Bloomkamp had done a fantastic job of bringing the game to the screen (And subsequently went on to direct District 9) and Alex Garland (writer of 28 Days Later, The Beach and Sunshine) had confirmed he had written a script. However, this is all in the land of Hollywood limbo for the time being, and I for one, would love to see a Halo film or series to get behind, especially since the announcement at E3 last year of Halo 4 and a second trilogy of games. I've watched Red vs Blue, I've watched several of the fantastic Machinima's online of fan made Halo based stories, and yes, I've tried, but failed miseraby to do my own Machinima's, including spending hours building sets on Forge in Reach, but alas it never came to fruition. 


Now, however, along comes Helljumpers, a fan made series of short films based around Tobias S. Buckell's short story 'Dirt'. Directed by Dan Wong and produced by Helena Hilario and Dan Wong, Helljumpers follows the story of Gage Yevgenny, an ODST who has fought through 27 years of the Human-Covenant war. After watching the first episode, I must say I found it fantastic. For an indie made film, it has drama, very good special effects, good acting and a seemingly good story arc. The UNSC costumes are highly detailed and are perfect replicas of the marine gear from the games. The guns look fantastic too, with every piece of equipment being made by the teams in house props designers. Even the grunts look brilliant, especially since this is a fan made series! I highly recommend that Halo Fans get behind this and give it the support it deserves. What Wong and Hilario have done is crafted something through love of the source material, just like us Halo fans would like to see. Get behind the series on their Facebook page here. Anyway, enough of me waffling on, see it for yourself...for your viewing pleasure, here's the trailer:




No comments:

Post a Comment